Wednesday, June 10, 2009

So today was a great day but it has been a while since we have hadinternet access (we just got it back). Anyway, so I was getting backto work on some designs for a rainwater cistern when I got a packagefrom Mae Johnson Way and was SO STOKED!!!!!I spent the time after lunch reading the letters. I cannot tell allof you how encouraged I am. It has been so funny because I talk aboutmy experiences at Snowbird so much to all the other staff here. Theletters and shirt was concrete proof that there is no family that cancompare to the SWO family.So here is an update that you can give to the staffers, if you want,so they can get updated on what I am doing:Thanks SWO for the letters. I cannot put into words how encouragingeach and every one was to me. For those of you that aren't quitefamiliar with what I am doing here it is: I am working withEngineering Ministries International (eMi). This non-profit org.works at helping meet the needs of evangelical Christians across theworld. My specific project is designing and engineering a theologicalschool in Rwanda. Only 5% of the pastors have a high schooleducation; therefore, it is crucial that these pastors that areshepherding Rwandan believers have a proper and adequate knowledge ofthe Living God. Our main office is in Uganda (where I spend most ofmy time). Here is what Uganda is like from my perspective:I have got to say that SWO has prepared me so much for the missionsfield. First off, sleeping above the bike shed and rarely showeringor even having hot showers is much like it is here. I have to sleepin a net which is weird. I feel like I am in a cocoon sometimes andthe showers here are either bucket showers or if you are very blessed,a shower head however the baths are never hot only cold. The roadswhere I live (outside of Kampala) are not paved and poorly maintained. In the wet season the roads are very muddy and you slip and slideeverywhere. The rain causes big ruts so Andrew Grey's gator would eatup the 4-wheelin. For the dry season, now, the roads have huge wholesfrom the rainy season but everything is dry so dust is everywhere.After a while your eyes strengthen so getting dust in them doesn'taffect you. Breathing in the dust that cars and trucks kick-up aswell as breathing in the smog that they spew out is never easy (noemission controls so no catalytic converters to filter the exhaust).I have met a Kenyan here and we have made very good friends. We willgo running and eventually I will teach him to swim. When we run, we goup hills like the hills at SWO that is used for prayer and mountainsurfing (if yall still do that). So you can imagine running up hugehills and breathing in exhaust and dust is not fun but it is greatbeing able to bond with a brotha from another motha. Africans arelike gazalles running. They can stinkin fly. In any sport or activity I will give it my all and they will still smoke me. Theywill say phrases like "My body thanks you so much for working it so hard"...while I am saying to myself "My body wants to fall over and die, when will you get tired!?"I love the people here. They are so friendly and love to talk to Muzungus (white people). Especially when a white person can speaktheir language. Anytime I talk to a Ugandan in his native languagethey smile really big and say "Who is it that a Muzungu knowsLugandan?" When you speak to a kid in their language, most arestunned or laugh uncontrollably. Muzungu refers to the way whitepeople walk. We walk very fast compared to our African brothers. TheAfricans like to say "Muzungus have watches but Africans have time."It is in reference to how we are always in a hurry. It is funnywatching an African making fun of me. They like to walk really fast,bent-over like a monkey. Africans have great posture, they thinkAmericans postures are poor. They carry everything on their head (Iam serious, I have seen some crazy things on peoples heads).I cannot wait to get back to NC only so I can show those interested inpictures, stories, and stereotypes that are that are not true of mostAfricans. I love it here and do not want to go home except toencourage others, fellowship with my long-missed men, and see myfiance Andrea.Staffers, campers, and whoever reads this letter, be ever so thankfulfor the ministry of Snowbird. That environment of a love for Christand dedication to one another in love is not found anywhere else, noteven in the US. Many of the staffers and locals tell me of howblessed I am to have such community back home.

Thanks for being afamily. Your humbled brother and fellow warrior in Christ, John McNeill

ps - does anyone still sleep above the bike shed? I seriously missthat place and the men who stunk it up in there with me. Is MissTully and Miss Roberts finished with the AT? Finally, great call on opening up archery and skeet shootin - best recs ever!!! But who put Patrick Neal on a shotgun? Emo's don't shoot guns do they? Just kiddin I love you bro and miss you greatly. Blue holdin down a new position known as SOFA - hilarious. Has anyone seen or heard from Mowgli, Smalls, Wolfeman, or Big Daddy Hicks? Lastly, how is the revelation skit - Hardcore as ever?

No comments:

Post a Comment