Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Hello all,If you are getting this email, it is because I have assumed that you are interested in receiving emails about my journey in Uganda. If I was wrong and you could careless, email me and I will take you off thelist. As of right now it is noon here and 5am NC time. It is my second dayin Uganda and I am so grateful to be here. I miss all of you,especially Aya, but I am very thankful that I get the opportunity toserve Uganda. Everywhere the staff goes we get called "Mazungu" whichmeans white person. It is really cute to see the little children stopand yell out "hello Mazungu." We are in the outskirts of town nearKampala so we get to experience village life which is much better thancity life (mainly because of traffic and crowds of people).The food is incredible here. Some things are different in taste anddo not look appealing but they are extremely good. I haven't hadanything out of the ordinary. As far as expenses go, one Americandollar equals 1600 shillings so we make it out pretty cheap for foodand clothing but gas or petrol is much more expensive here. It isabout 6 dollars a gallon and unskilled workers make about 20 Americandollars a week. So keep in mind that we, despite our complaints, haveit very well in the US. There are several gestures that we useeveryday in America but are taken wrongly here.Hopefully these will make you smile:A yawn in Uganda means you are hungry and people will give you food.An eyebrow shrug with the sound "hmm" means yes in Ugandan culture.Pregnant women will not say they are pregnant even when noticeablebecause they don't want their baby to be cursed.If you make eye contact with a woman while talking with them it meansyou are very interested in her.public displays of affection are very vulgar. the only affection youwill see is man to man or woman to woman (like holding hands).Argentines would hate Uganda.opening and closing your hand in a "hello gesture to a kid" means tocome here in Ugandan culture so if you do that in the village, kidswill flock to you.someone who says they had to take a "short call" or a "long call" arereferences to the bathroom. I will send more culture differences when I think of them but that isall for now. Other than that not much has been happening because weare still going through orientation. Carbs and starch are the bigthings you will always eat here which can be rough on the stomach butI like it alright.The bugs are not bad. Compared to Alaska, this place has very fewinsects. I continue to take malaria medicine but bug spray isn'tnecessary.They have warned us that we will get a stomach virus or sickness whilewe are here but that you will get through it. I don't look forward tothat but I still love it here. If yall have any questions email me and I will include it in my next email. I love yall, take care. Nick you are going to love Uganda. I wish I could commit to a semester. John

No comments:

Post a Comment