Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Hello everyone,It has been a long time since everyone has received an email from mebut no worries I will keep the past two weeks concise but hopefullyentertaining.First off. I got to attend the Uganda vs. Niger futbol game. It wasintense!!! I got some pictures but Ugandans go crazy during thegames. The Cranes (Uganda) dominated Niger but the final score was 1to 0. The foot work and ball handling skills were extremelyimpressive. I got to take a few pictures but I was warned that youget mugged while you watch the game so I was very careful. It alsohelped that I went to the game with some local friends of mine. Youcould say we were quite the oreo during the match. They watched outfor me and demonstrated the Ugandan cheers (one sounds like a highpitched ya ya ya that I definitely could not imitate). It was a greatgame and I did not get mugged. I will show the pictures when I getback in the states.I took my first African bus ride last week. It was great. It was atouring bus that had been handed down to Uganda over the years. Sadlyenough, people kept their goats at home and only brought themselves (Iwas told I was fortunate because I could have had to share my seatwith a goat).The bus would make random stops for us to get out and make "long orshort calls" (use the bathroom). The bus however did not communicatewhen it would leave. We learned after running the bus down andjumping on that the rev of the engine means you have 20 seconds to geton or you will be left. No sympathy. A younger man who was a streetvender hopped on the bus to sell some of his food products. The bustook off before he had the chance to get off and they refused to stopand let him out. They finally stopped after 45 minutes of driving.The poor guy had eyes of terror because he probably could not affordto make it back to town.Another great feature of the bus ride was the Nigerian movies. I keptthinking of my cousins Kevin and David during these videos becausethey were more than cheesy. They consisted of "who's the daddy to thebaby" to "evil spirits with knitted kittens on their scary (notreally) togas. These videos made me think of my cousins because theyare gifted imitators of cheesy films and shows. I could only imaginetheir clever dubbed in voices that would send the whole bus intolaughter. I know my imagination couldn't have done justice the theactual duo but regardless, these videos were less than B rated. Itseemed like they recorded each one in the shower (loud echoes) andused a standard hand held camera.Before I make this email too long I wanted to tell of my experiencesin Kigali, Rwanda. Rwanda is a country still in repair from the 94genocide between the Hutu and Tutsi people. This is horrifying ordealthat all the people of Rwanda experienced. We went to the genocidememorial to be educated on the causes and aftermath of the genocide.In just 3 months over a million people were killed. There are manychildren who have lost all their parents and relatives and women whohave lost their children and husbands. It is sad to know that allthis occurred with no outside help from any countries. Anyway, to notleave this email in complete despair - it is very encouraging to seethe response of the Rwandan people and the well used aid money to helprebuild and establish a clean unified country.It is so good to be back in Uganda. I missed this place very much andI am so excited to continue relationships with some of the people.

Prayer Requests:- I miss Andrea a lot and I find myself battling wanting to stay hereand wanting to be home with her. So please pray that I will bepatient and content with where we are in life right now.- I would work hard and finish correctly my engineering work for theTheological school- I would be intentional to continue relationships and really emptymyself in serving the people of Uganda.

Much love from Africa friends and family.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment